Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Hidden Consequence of Growing Watch Sizes

Omega Blogger weighed his:


The Lardtastic 45 Planet Ocean.
Click on the picture to go to OmegaBlogger's P.O. archives.

but it's not until you get it in your hands that you realise a key problem with the current trend of growing watch diameters. Fashion arguments aside, one thing's for sure: for a given shape, the mass goes up with the cube of the diameter. That's a steep effect; 8% on diameter is 25% on mass. The 42 Planet Ocean is heavy enough but the 45.5 P.O. is ridiculous. Unless you have the bracelet on fusion generating levels of pressure on your wrist it just slides about like a polymer suitcase in the back of a Pontiac (yes I'm still in the US). Clearly new lower density materials or construction techniques are required. I wonder when any of the manufacturers are going to do anything about it. How about Titanium for a start........?

3 comments:

Dario said...

It has been some time now that I have given myself a 44 mm limit in order to be able to wear some of my cherished smaller (39 mm) watches. As far as I know one of the greatest accomplishments in watchmaking evolved around making things as small and thin as possible. Today, it seems that a larger size, which is much easier to conceive, is rewarded by a bigger price tag...

This is a matter to be further discussed...

Ed said...

I still make a point of wearing my old Omega Seamaster, Bucherer and Pobeda. They are very small by today's standards but that doesn't bother me. I think that many of these new huge designs frankly look clownlike.

Speedmaster said...

I would like to own stock in the company that makes big plastic spacers. ;-)

Chris
http://amateureconblog.blogspot.com/