Sunday, March 20, 2005

Ladies Moonphase Watches

If a search engine has got you here, then you'll probably be going through the nightmare I had. When I was looking for a ladies moonphase watch last year, I found it an incredibly hard job! There is very little out there to choose from with real mechnical movements in, let alone complications!. Quite an error on the part of manufacturers not to offer this complication more often in women's watches I think.

In the end, my favourite was this one, a limited edition Dubey & Schaldenbrand Lady Star. D&S are owned by Cinette Robert, great grand daughter of renowned watchmaker Meylan-LeCoultre*.
*If someone can tell me more about Meylan-LeCoultre, I'd be happy to hear.



There were four left in the world (only 350 total) and only two I could find with the black dial. Phew, got it! So Viniphile could retire her mum's 50's Yema and we made it her engagement watch!

The Guilloche is well done, the moon bright, the date hand blue a nice contrast and the arabics and hands well matched. The D&S tonneau (barrel shape) case is very hard to capture in the pics even on their own website and looks better in the flesh. It's been fine since, but recently I regulated it and took a shot inside of the movement.



As I say, choices were limited - at any price. I didn't like the Vacheron Constantin Malte Complications, Blancpain Leman, nor the Maurice Lacroix Phase de Lune nor the Frederique Constant one. Maybe you will - check 'em out.. The only other one close or preferable for me was the Patek, the 4857. I'm saving that for her 40th ;-)


Patek 4857 - One of the rare ladies Pateks with a real movement in!

No comments: